Thursday, November 06, 2008

Remarks From My Oldest Sis, And The Enthusiasm of Youth

I received an e-mail earlier this morning from my oldest sister who is stationed in Germany this morning. Her e-mail is in response to the letter my father wrote on Election Day.

Well, Dad said it very well... I can't really add anything eloquent at this point... my brain has turned to mush after 5 years of being a stay-at-home Mom.

However, I'll share a really great experience I had yesterday. I was in one of our local hardware stores shopping with Zibby when a German boy of about 10 yrs old and his mother overheard me speaking in English. He ran up to me and shook my hand and said "you are American?" When I said, "yes", he pumped his fist in the air and said "President, Neu President ... OBAMA!". His mother was grinning from ear-to-ear. I felt very proud to be an American and and it made me feel as if the great tension between the two countries was being lifted in these small little exchanges.

So, it was nice to share that triumph with my German neighbors since a lot of my military friends were McCain supporters....

No comments: